Friday Poll: What's Radio's Biggest Advertising Advantage?

• 994 posts
    September 27, 2018 11:51 PM PDT

Radio has many advantages over other media. Chances are, you bring up several of them whenever you make a presentation. Still, it can be quite a challenge to convince today's advertisers of radio's real worth, especially when they're being advised by "experts" in their field to put their money into digital and social media advertising.

We have our work cut out for us. Let's see what kind of a list we can compile, based on our own day-to-day selling experience.

What is radio's biggest advantage to an advertiser? Why is radio still relevant?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts below.

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at September 27, 2018 11:57 PM PDT
    • 180 posts
    September 28, 2018 11:50 AM PDT

Immediacy. Change copy. Change schedule. Respond to a political attack. You can't change a billboard that fast. Magazines and print take forever to get out. 

You can call me in the morning and I can have your message out to the people by that afternoon.

• 994 posts
    September 28, 2018 12:47 PM PDT

@Joe Lyons: That used to be true in my situation but no longer. Typically need 1-2 business days to change message, without stressing traffic and/or production. It's a function of being dependent on computer automation, rather than people.

There are many things radio does especially well, but for my money, it's the power of pure audio communication and especially of human speech to connect intimately with the person on the other end of the radio:

• Speech is our primary form of communication. Print (in any form) is an imitation of speech.
    • "God's gift to radio is that humans are created without earlids." - Tony Schwartz
    • "Blindness separates people from things; deafness separates people from people." - Helen Keller
    • The ear is more powerful than the eye. Sound gets into the mind faster and stays there longer (intrusive, echoic memory) - Trout & Ries
    • The best pictures are the ones you "see" between your ears.